Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Do Comfortable, Professional, AND Fashionable Shoes Exist?? YES!

Comfortable high heels, unicorns, and mermaids are all beautiful mythical things.  Or are they??  You can find beautiful pumps, but they're never comfortable, you can find comfortable shoes- but maybe they're not professional.  Well, my goal is to debunk this myth.  Read on!  (I'll leave the rest of the myths to the National Inquirer.)

The following quote perfectly describes the dilemma at hand: "Lawyers stand in court all day, business executives race through airports, and real estate agents are going up and down stairs showing houses. When you consider that all of that activity often takes place in painfully uncomfortable shoes, it is no wonder so many women professionals are looking for new shoe solutions."  In fact, possible problems can include:  hammertoes, dislocation of joints in the feet, and even stress fractures in the metatarsal bones. Yikes!!

So, what's to be done?  I've rallied up a few solutions:
1)Flats!  If you will be standing for long periods of time or will be walking quite a bit, keep them handy to change into.  Most of the time flats can fit in a purse, briefcase, or backpack!  I even know several friends who keep an extra pair in their car, desk drawer, or gym locker.

2)Tennis shoes! For those who live in the city and have to walk longer distances, you need to protect your feet, and this might allow you to walk at a quicker speed. However, I've never been comfortable wearing tennis shoes with business attire, so I just stick with flats for walking. (Puma makes some comfort shoes that almost look like professional flats: http://www.shop.puma.com/Winning-Diva-Bling-Ballerina-Flats/pna304000,en_US,pd.html&cgid=13120#!i%3D0%26color%3D01)

3)Inserts!  Not my favorite option because sometimes the inserts move around and can irritate your foot.  However, Dr. Scholl's makes some great options!

4)Know good brands!  There are a number of brands that tote comfort and professionalism, and you might find a pair that suits your taste!  Note: they can be quite expensive, but a really good pair can last for a couple years.  Here are some of my favorites: 

-Geox: My absolute favorite. A European brand that is carried by Nordstrom and can be found on Amazon as well.  Known as "the shoes that breathe." (www.shopgeox.com)
-Cole Haan: Paired with Nike to use Nike Air Cushioning to make the heel more comfortable.  Check out this gorgeous number, but beware of the price!(http://www.colehaan.com/colehaan/catalog/product.jsp?catId=100&productId=135382&productGroup=135379)
-Sofft and Born: very similar brands with a similar look (and a nice sturdy heel!).  They take a while to break in, but they are SO comfortable after you get used to them! (www.sofftshoe.com and www.bornshoes.com)
-Naturalizer: Typically are really easy to walk in. (http://www.naturalizer.com)

5)Shape of the Shoe!  Ankle straps, wedges, and platforms offer the foot more support.  However, be careful that you keep these in the professional realm- typically pumps are more closely associated with professionalism.

As always: Be classy, be kind, and you'll earn the respect you deserve.

5 comments:

  1. Great ideas! I love all Franco Sarto's as well! I can run in them down the street if I have to :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're completely right!! I forgot to add those to the list, they're great! I've only had one pair, but next time I need new pumps, I'm going to look at Sarto's first! (I can't imagine how important comfortable shoes are for you in NYC!)

      Delete
  2. While I spent 3 weeks in Washington, DC this fall, I noticed that many business commuters sported their beloved Rainbow flip flops while walking from bus stop to Metro station and back. It was a new, interesting concept for me. Too bad their Rainbows have probably never seen the beach, but that's beside the point. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rainbows are good for every occasion!! Good tip Kate:) So it's snowing outside right now and I'm really missing my pair...

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing the great ideas Jenessa! I always have the hardest time finding those mythical shoes that satisfy my desire for comfort and style. I usually decide on the comfort and have ugly shoes as a result. I appreciate your brand recommendations! One other idea might be to wear whatever comfortable, casual (even tennis shoe) you want to and from the office but change into cute heels while at work (depending on the job and how much walking you have to do).

    ReplyDelete