Sunday, February 5, 2012

Interview Prep Part 2: You've got a suit on, does the rest matter? YES!

Sorry girls.  Having a suit on isn't the catch all.  Your whole first impression needs to align and say to your interviewer: I'm professional, prepared, and put in the time and effort to show you I want this position!   Thus, let us discuss other helpful accent pieces and possible deal breakers: accessories, hair, and anything else you may have on or with you!
1)Hair:  So many possibilities!  I'll pose a couple options, but feel free to contact me if you have specific questions.
  • Down- I once tried not to laugh when I had a girl walk in with her hair done as if she were going to prom- you know what I'm talking about right? The hair-sprayed crisp curls?  Maybe she DID have a prom that night, even though she was about to graduate college.  Either way, stick to your natural look.  If you straighten it, don't go too crazy, but if you decide to curl it, just stick to something simple like curling the ends.  Make sure it looks nice... everything in moderation, right?
  • Up- I think a pony-tail or bun is completely fine!  It can look sleek or sophisticated (and if you have a tendency to play with your hair when you're nervous, this might help you take away the temptation!). Keep it age appropriate though, you don't need to look like a 70 yr old librarian.  
  • Half-up half-down- this is always a good "I can't decide between up or down so I'll do both" look.  And it typically flatters any face shape.  Just make sure any elastics you use aren't 80's scrunchies or bright yellow.  Match your rubberband or barretts with your suit color.

2)Accessories:  SO MANY OPTIONS!  Remember, less is more.  
  • Nylons- I personally avoid them at all costs.  However, if it's the middle of winter, I would suggest wearing them especially if you are wearing a skirt suit!  If you go with nude, make sure it matches your skin tone, and if you go with darker tights, promise me that you will only wear the "sheer" shades.  Mat dark tights are really only meant as fashion tights and don't look professional.  
  • Scarves- Scarves are one of my favorite accessories, but I don't suggest wearing one in an interview.  It can detract from clean, sharp lines created by a suit.  
  • Glasses- Is it true glasses make you look smarter?  I haven't checked for statistics, but it can create a more "serious" look.  But you don't have to wear them to prove a point.  I think glasses are completely personal preference, and in all cases, stay away from excessively bright or funky frames.  (And don't walk into the office with your sunglasses pushed to the top of your head!)
  • Jewelry- The more simple, the better.  Dangly earrings, statement or chunky necklaces can all be very distracting.  I usually just stick with simple studs.  And if you find that a necklace is absolutely necessary, stick with a VERY simple one (and stay away from long necklaces).  Also- I can't live without a watch, so if you wear one, make sure it's classic and goes with your suit, and try to avoid looking at it!  (And this goes without saying, but toe rings and ankle bracelets died in the late 90's).

3)What to carry??
  • Portfolio-This is the best option: sharpest looking, simple, and the easiest.  All you need in an interview is typically your resume and something to take notes on.  (I have a portfolio with a zipper section where I store my car key... and I leave my phone in the car!)
  • Purse- Only take it if you have no other alternative.  You don't particularly need to apply lip gloss every few seconds!  And if you worry about leaving it in your car (for safety reasons), try storing it in your trunk.
I hope this was helpful, but I'm sure I missed something!  If you have questions, tack them below in the comments section, and I'll be sure to address them in subsequent blogs.  

As always: Be classy, be kind, and you'll earn the respect you deserve.

6 comments:

  1. Phew. I think I got most of these right. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Course you were right! You looked great in your suit:)

      Delete
  2. These are great tips, Jenessa! I am glad to hear that it is appropriate to wear your hair down to interviews these days. I was only putting it up for the companies that still have nylons in their dress code. Keep the ideas coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy!! If there are any specific topics you have questions about- let me know!! Ideas are always welcome:)

      Delete
  3. I'm curious why nylons are such a "no no" except for the winter. I've seen women with a very professional look while wearing nylons.

    I never thought of glasses as an accessory. I'll have to look into buying some without a prescription to give me that smart, serious look. :)

    So it was okay to wear toe rings and ankle bracelets to interviews in the 90's?

    Seriously though, great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, sorry Joel- I didn't mean to mislead. Nylons can be a great look (as long as they are the right shade of course). I meant I personally avoid them because I had 18 straight months of wearing them every day and grew pretty tired of them! And as to whether ankle bracelets were ok- I'm not sure, but I definitely had a few!! Feel free to wear yours whenever you want:)

      Delete